INTERNATIONAL ROSTERS ANNOUNCED FOR 2011 WORLD JUNIOR A CHALLENGE
Friday, October 28th 2011
Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Junior Hockey League, announced Friday the rosters of the four international teams – the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and the United States – competing in the 2011 World Junior A Challenge, Nov. 7-13 at the Langley Events Centre in Langley, B.C.
CLICK HERE FOR INTERNATIONAL ROSTERS FOR THE 2011 WORLD JUNIOR A CHALLENGE
Russia, has submitted a 30-player long list; its roster will be finalized before the tournament opens Nov. 7.
The Czech Republic will be taking part in the World Junior A Challenge for the first time.
The international rosters include:
- two players who took part in the 2010 World Junior A Challenge:
- United States (2) – Cooper, Schmaltz
- six players drafted in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (team, round, overall):
- United States (6) – Lucia (MIN, 2, 60); Welinksi (ANA, 3, 83), Reilly (CBJ, 4, 98), Cameranesi (TOR, 5, 130), Kuraly (SJ, 5, 133), Broadhurst (CHI, 7, 199)
- 37 players who took part in the 2011 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka summer under-18 tournament:
- Czech Republic (14) – Franek, Hawlik, Hudecek, Knot, Kostalek, Langhamer, Matejcek, Plasil, Polivka, Sedlacek, Simon, Slovacek, Soumelidis, Zadrazil
- Russia (13) – Ustinski, Vasilevski, Ermakov, Garyeyev, Vasiliev, Malenkikh, Galin, Khatsei, Yakimov, Filippov, Kudreman, Osnovin, Timirev
- Sweden (9) – Andersson, Arnesson, Bystrom, Dansk, Kalin, Karlsson, Lindholm, Pettersson, Sandberg
- United States (1) - Hinostroza
- three players who took part in the 2011 IIHF World Under-18 Championship:
- Czech Republic (3) – Jenik, Rousek, Svihalek
- 10 players who took part in the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge:
- Czech Republic (10) – Buchta, Hudecek, Langhamer, Matejcek, Plasil, Sedlacek, Slovacek, Soumelidis, Tomecek, Zadrazil
- two players projected as first-round picks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft by TSN scout Craig Button:
- Sweden (2) – Bystrom (17th), Dansk (28th)
- one player projected as a first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft by International Scouting Services:
- United States (1) – Schmaltz (21st)
Sweden and the United States will play in Group A with Canada West, while the Czech Republic and Russia will join Canada East in Group B. Preliminary round play will run until Wednesday, Nov. 9, with both semifinals taking place Friday, Nov. 11. The gold medal game, which will be shown nationally on TSN/RDS, the official broadcasters of Hockey Canada, is set for Sunday, Nov. 13 (check your local listings). All preliminary round games, quarter-finals, semifinals and the bronze medal game can be seen live via webcast through FASTHockey at hockeycanada.fasthockey.com.
Full-tournament 15-game ticket packages are on sale, including tickets to all 13 games at the 2011 World Junior A Challenge, both CJHL Prospects Games and a free souvenir tournament program, for only $150, as well as single-game tickets and a flex package. To purchase tickets, CLICK HERE.
For more information on the 2011 IIHF World Junior A Challenge, please visit www.HockeyCanada.ca/wjac, or follow along via social media at www.facebook.com/wjrac or www.twitter.com/hc_wjac.