CANADIAN JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE
CJHL Media Update
Release Date: Monday, January 16, 2023
Battlefords North Stars maintain hold on No. 1 in CJHL rankings
TORONTO – Despite suffering their first defeat in regulation time this season, over the weekend, the Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) have maintained their hold on the No. 1 slot in the latest Canadian Junior Hockey League (CJHL) Top 20 Rankings, released Monday.
Battlefords was blanked on the road Saturday by the defending SJHL champions, the Estevan Bruins, and had a franchise-record 17-game winning streak snapped, but still sport a more than respectable record of 33-1-2-1 to pace the pack in Saskatchewan.
Winners of 18 in succession, the surging Cobras de Terrebonne remain No. 2 in the 118-team CJHL while boasting a league-best 30-2-0-0 mark in Quebec.
Meanwhile, the Brooks Bandits (AJHL) are tabbed No. 3 nationally as the front-runners in Alberta have gone 39-3-1-1 to date. The defending Centennial Cup winners are looking to secure yet another regular season crown and take the top seed into the playoffs.
Meanwhile, the Toronto Jr. Canadians (OJHL) come in at No. 4 in the listings, which are compiled by an independent scouting service.
The Jr. Habs are the first OJHL side to 70 points this season, having gone 34-3-1-1 and are a perfect 21-0 as the visiting team.
Behind them in the rankings, at No. 5, are the Collingwood Blues (OJHL). They are playing .868 hockey heading into play this week with their 29-4-0-1 record.
The following are the current CJHL Top 20 Rankings, as well as the five Honourable Mention clubs, for the period ending January 15:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Jan. 16, 2023)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (PREVIOUS RANKING)
1. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (1)
2. Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJAAAQ) (2)
3. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (3)
4. Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL) (4)
5. Collingwood Blues (OJHL) (5)
6. Ottawa Jr. Senators (CCHL) (9)
7. Greater Sudbury Cubs (NOJHL) (7)
8. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
9. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (10)
10. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (14)
11. Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (8)
12. Haliburton County Huskies (OJHL) (13)
13. Timmins Rock (NOJHL) (11)
14. Kam River Fighting Walleye (SIJHL) (12)
15. Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners (MHL) (15)
16. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (16)
17. Hearst Lumberjacks (NOJHL) (17)
18. Collège Français de Longueuil (LJHAAAQ) (19)
19. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (HM)
20. Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) (18)
HONOURABLE MENTION: Burlington Cougars (OJHL); Navan Grads (CCHL); Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL); Edmundston Blizzard (MHL); Truro Bearcats (MHL).
ABOUT THE RANKINGS: The CJHL Top 20 Rankings are compiled during the course of the regular season by an independent scouting service and are determined using a variety of factors during the process.
ABOUT THE CJHL: The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of nine Junior A leagues from Alberta to the Maritimes. The CJHL currently represents 118 teams and well over 2,500 players. There are also 3,000-plus CJHL alumni furthering their hockey careers at the NHL, AHL, ECHL, SPHL, NCAA, U SPORTS and CHL levels across North America as well as leagues across Europe. For the latest CJHL news and features, visit cjhlhockey.com and follow-on social media at @cjhlhockey & facebook.com/
Photo credit: Martin Martinson / battlefords NOW
For more information, contact:
Canadian Junior Hockey League
Director of Communications
Canadian Junior Hockey League