2023 Metalfab MHL Cup Final
(1) Yarmouth Mariners vs (1) Edmundston Blizzard
Game 1 – Sunday, April 16th, 7:00 PM – Mariners Centre
Game 2 – Monday, April 17th, 7:00 PM – Mariners Centre
Game 3 – Thursday, April 20th, 7:30 PM – Centre Jean Daigle
Game 4 – Friday, April 21st, 7:30 PM – Centre Jean Daigle
Game 5 – Sunday, April 23rd, 3:00 PM – Centre Jean Daigle*
Game 6 – Saturday, April 29th, 7:00 PM – Mariners Centre*
Game 7 – Sunday, April 30th, 3:00 PM – Mariners Centre*
|41-9-2-0 (1st)||Regular Season Record (MHL Rank)||38-13-0-1 (2nd)|
|4-0 vs Truro||Semifinal Result||4-0 vs Summerside|
|2019 – 4-0 win vs Campbellton||Previous Appearance in League Final||2018 – 4-2 win vs Yarmouth|
|5.25||Playoff Goals For per game||4.40|
|2.00||Playoff Goals Against per game||3.00|
|24.0%||Playoff Powerplay %||33.3%|
|90.6%||Playoff Penalty Kill %||70.0%|
|Reilly Mayne – 7 G, 5 A
Jerome Gilbert – 5 G, 7 A
|Playoff Top Scorer||Alex Arsenault – 5 G, 10 A
Patrick Leblanc – 3 G, 12 A
|Franco Canevari – 3 G, 6 A||Playoff Top Scoring Defenseman||Jean-Phillip Boudreau – 2 G, 1 A
Tim Porter – 2 G, 1 A
|Joey Lovullo – 6-0-0, 1.67 GAA, .935 SV%, 1 SO
Keegan Warren – 2-0-0, 2.96 GAA, .910 SV%
|Playoff Goaltender Stats||Thomas Boucher – 6-1-1, 3.26 GAA, .881 SV%
Samuel LeBlanc – 2-0-0, .067 GAA, .977 SV%
|1-1-0-0||Head to Head Record||1-1-0-0|
|Jerome Gilbert – 1 G, 2 A||Leading Scorer in Season Series||Patrick Leblanc – 3 A|
- October 15th – Yarmouth 4 Edmundston 1
- February 4th – Edmundston 4 Yarmouth 3
- Yarmouth and Edmundston last met in the league final in 2018, where the Blizzard defeated the Mariners in six games. Three of the six games required overtime, including two that went to double overtime. This is also the first time since that matchup that the two regular season division champions have faced off for the league title.
- Yarmouth, with the highest goals per game in the Metalfab MHL Cup Playoffs, gets stronger as the game progresses. The team has scored eleven first period goals and allowed eight, but outscored the opposition 15-4 in each the 2nd and 3rd periods. The Mariners have also generated more shots in the 2nd and 3rd periods than in the 1st.
- Edmundston, coming off a high-scoring series with Miramichi in the Eastlink North Semi-Finals, were able to clamp down defensively against Summerside. The Blizzard outscored the Western Capitals 13-7 in the four games, compared to 31 goals for and 23 goals against in six games against Miramichi.
- A key to their victory over Summerside was Edmundston’s success on the penalty kill. After a league worst 58.3% penalty killing percentage in round 1 against Miramichi, the Blizzard allowed just two powerplay goals in sixteen opportunities against the Western Capitals who had a league best 35.3% powerplay percentage in the regular season.
- However, Yarmouth’s penalty killing has been a major strength of their playoff run so far, allowing just three goals in 32 shorthanded opportunities against Pictou County and Truro.
- Yarmouth’s Ryan Semple and Jerome Gilbert have the longest active point streaks in the playoffs at five games, having each tallied eight points in that time. Edmundston’s Patrick Leblanc had his nine-game point streak snapped in Game 4 against Summerside.